Sunday, March 28, 2010

एक अनोखी यात्रा



My flight from Delhi to Berlin via Vienna was rather uneventful and shorter than what I had anticipated, but the journey from Tegel Airport to my apartment in Triftstr on Sunday January 10th, 2010 was one that I shall never forget.

I had, of course done my homework and was not too concerned since my apartment was just 7-8 km from the Airport, and although it was snowing, I was convinced that paying 20 euros for a Taxi would be a complete waste when public transport would cost just 2 euros! The troubles started right at the airport, where I looked around desperately for Immigration to stamp my passport, blissfully unaware that the transit visa stamped at Vienna was enough for me to enter Germany. Finally a friendly cop and some fellow Indians convinced me that leaving the airport had no risk of deportation.

I gathered my 2 huge suitcases, and my laptop bag and confidently headed towards the bus stop right outside the airport (my notes told me that I needed to take the bus in the direction of Alexanderplatz) Wondering where to buy a ticket, I went to the help desk at the airport and got a 2,20 euro ticket which I was told would be good for both buses and trains for two hours but only in "one direction". Since I did not get the direction funda, I decided to confirm if my route was okay with this ticket, the guy at the counter said that it would be better if I took another bus and wrote down the number for me.

Meanwhile I conveniently forgot that taking this new bus meant that the route ahead would also change, and quickly jumped into the bus lest my "2 hour" limit get over! A friendly Indian in the bus also validated my ticket for me, the importance of which would dawn on me much later (having been caught with an unvalidated ticket in the train next week) Getting off at the correct stop, I suddenly panicked realizing that I did not know where to go next. Asking a couple of people didnt help because I didnt know then that Triftstraße was pronounced as Triftstrasse and not Triftstrabbe! As I was desperately going through my notes, an old gentleman on crutches said something to me. Panicky and desperate to reach home, I replied rather impatiently "Sorry, I speak only English." He smiled and said "I know, I asked if I could help you" (I really blame the guide I bought at the Delhi Airport for this, it said that only young people would be likely to speak English in Germany)

Embarrassed, I mumbled something like an apology and told him I wanted to go to "Triftstrabbe" He gave me a knowing smile and asked for my notes. "It is Triftstrasse, take the S Bahn (metro) to Wedding and you can walk from there" Thanking him profusely, I reached the S Bahn station, where I realized that I was on the "Ringbahn" and a wrong direction could mean a 45 minute longer transit time (and possibly an expired ticket!) Asking a fellow commuter resolved this issue in a few minutes. I was also very tired by now, and the two suitcases with the notebook were feeling heavier by the minute.

I consoled myself saying that it is the last stop, the walk cant be longer than 10 minutes. The escalator at the Wedding Station was out of order, and I took two trips to transfer 50 kgs of precious baggage out of the station. While the temperature was -15 degrees, I was yet to feel the brunt of it, courtesy 3 layers of thermals and sweaters and jackets which were forced on me during tearful goodbyes at Delhi Airport. Thankfully I have a mom who has her way with things, and so the only preparation that actually helped was the warm clothing!

The weather had gone from bad to worse meanwhile, and the strong winds, while unable to penetrate my mom's armor started stinging my eyes. The suitcases were stuck in thick layers of snow, my hands were numb from all the pulling, the street was deserted and I had no idea which direction to take. I decided that getting stuck in a snowstorm would qualify as an emergency and decided to call my Professor on his mobile for help or instructions. Trusting Vodafone was a BIG mistake, and inspite of a hefty payment I did not have International Roaming and my phone just refused to dial a single number.

I bravely mouthed a prayer and decided to head further on the main street, and after about 500 metres of walking and dragging my luggage for what felt like an eternity, I saw 2 friendly looking Indians! Almost hugging them, I quickly narrated my story and asked if they could help. Of course I had come in the opposite direction from the station, and the only option they said was to go back the same way that I came. Fortunately, they were going the same way and one of them even carried my laptop bag for a while. By this time, I was already worried about getting a frostbite and horrible Grey's Anatomy amputation jokes came to mind! Saying goodbye to the Indian Angels, I continued on my quest for glory at the next crossing. Now I had started taking breaks every 5 minutes, and the distance covered was minimal because of the thick snow blocking the wheels of my brand new Samsonite.

Knowing that just 200 metres were left, tired and exhausted like never before, I gave up; placing both suitcases on top of each other and sitting on them, enjoying the snowfall on the street. Two passer byes did not understand when I requested them to phone and call a taxi (I almost asked for an ambulance!) Another annoying fact was that I hadn't seen a single taxi after leaving the airport (this was always going to be my backup plan in case I got lost) After a 15 minute break, I got up again and continued to move at a snail's pace, both my suitcases in tow.

When I reached the apartment, I felt like Sholay's Thakur, and throwing all niceties to the wind, begged the concierge to carry my luggage to the 10th floor! I had no sense of time at all, and was rather surprised to know that I made it in just under 4 hours :)

PS - Thanks Aamir, All Izz Well actually helps!

3 comments:

Dark Covenant said...

I wonder what one who is not so familiar with courage does on a not so familiar land. Proud of you Adi!

Only if our mom didn't have her way with things we would realize what kind of a mess we can get ourselves into :)

Loved the post. Keep writing.

Desisoccermom said...

OMG! I am amazed you finally made it to the apartment. And thank god for overprotective moms! That was quite an adventure and a warning to future penny wise pound foolish travellers, no offense. :) Glad you are alls settled now. I am surprised and glad that you found so many desis around to help you out.

docaditya said...

@ Jaya

If I've learnt anything from this (mis!)adventure, it is never to question my mom's judgment :) I've never seen so many desis after that day in Berlin, so for once Murphy was off my back!